10 Beautiful But Deadly Flowers & Plants to Stay Away From

The topic of poisonous plants invariably excites the minds of gardeners. And this, in general, is understandable: at your home, you want to relax from worries, and not worry about possible dangers. Meanwhile, if you delve into the details, it turns out that a huge number of representatives of the flora – both garden and wild – potentially pose a threat to our health. Here’s a list of flowers & plants to avoid in your beautiful garden!

10. Rhododendron

This plant loves moist and shaded areas of the garden. Flower growers especially appreciate it for its unpretentiousness and spectacular colorful inflorescences. You can find such shades of rhododendron buds:

  • White;
  • Red;
  • pink;
  • purple.
  • The aesthetics of stunning inflorescence caps are emphasized by elastic shiny leaves. But not everyone knows that this plant, amazing in its beauty, due to the negligence of the owners, can become a silent killer. This can happen if a person for some reason swallows at least a piece of any part of the culture.

IMPORTANT. The first signs of rhododendron poisoning are increased salivation and uncontrolled lacrimation.

If the injured person is not immediately provided with medical assistance, after a while it will be possible to observe a deterioration in the condition. It manifests itself in:

  • the appearance of profuse vomiting;
  • slow heart rate;
  • lowering blood pressure.
  • REFERENCE. The highest degree of poisoning is the onset of coma or death from cardiac arrest.

9. Hogweed

This plant is an ordinary weed, which has recently been successfully cultivated by lovers of something new. The exotic umbrella inflorescences of hogweed and its adaptability to survive on the poorest soils make the plant very attractive in the eyes of gardeners. Many people are aware of its ability to cause sunburns, but few people know that this summer crop is one of the most dangerous ones found in household plots.

ATTENTION. Hogweed juice destroys melanin pigment in the skin.

The insidiousness of culture lies in the fact that when touched, it does not cause any unpleasant sensations. But the consequences of this action will be very painful. In addition, it is very difficult to get rid of it.

IMPORTANT. When cleaning the area from hogweed, do not forget about protective clothing.

8. Hydrangea

This colorful perennial flower looks like a medium-sized shrub with amazingly colorful buds. Hydrangea buds bloom from mid-spring to late autumn. Petals do not fade for a long time. It is the duration of flowering and outstanding decorative qualities that attract gardeners so much.

Unfortunately, this beautiful flower crop is very dangerous for humans and animals, since all of its vegetative organs contain one of the most dangerous poisons known to science – cyanide.

And although this chemical element is contained in the plant in a small amount, it will be enough to cause serious disorders in children and animals. If someone swallows part of the flower, then the poisoning will manifest itself as follows:

  • vomit;
  • labored breathing;
  • stomachache;
  • weakness, lethargy;
  • in critical cases – coma.
  • ATTENTION. Adults are more resistant to hydrangea poison.

7. Lily of the valley

These delicate herbaceous flowering plants open their fragile bluebells in May. Their unpretentiousness and ability to grow even in the shady part of the garden have led to the fact that they can be found everywhere. Lilies of the valley will perfectly decorate any composition in a flower bed, and their delicate aroma will not leave anyone indifferent. But even these fragile flowers are deadly for animals and people. Of course, subject to ingestion.

IMPORTANT. All parts of the lily of the valley are toxic and dangerous, especially the leaf blades.

Even the liquid in which a bouquet of these May flowers is placed becomes poisonous. A similar phenomenon is due to the presence of a deadly substance in the cells of the plant. This natural glycoside poison greatly enhances heart contractions. In addition, it calls:

  • irritability;
  • severe headaches;
  • hot flashes;
  • hallucinations;
  • the appearance of red spots on the skin;
  • increased sweating.
  • REFERENCE. In the absence of timely qualified assistance, a person falls into a coma and dies of heart failure.

6. Boxwood

Boxwood or Buxus is a plant that is most often used in the backyard to create beautiful borders or hedges. Its outstanding decorative qualities are difficult to overestimate. Juicy bright green leafy plates shimmer beautifully in the sun. But for all their beauty, it is this part of the culture that is most dangerous for living organisms. Boxwood leaves contain cyclobutane D.

ATTENTION. Only 0.1 mg of the substance per 1 kg of body weight of a dog or cat will be enough for the animal to die.

For an adult, this alkaloid is considered moderately toxic, but for a child it is dangerous. Poison is also found in the bark.

5. Oleander

In household plots, oleander is cultivated as a perennial evergreen shrub. The plant is classified as highly toxic, but at the same time, it is valued for its outstanding aesthetic qualities. Its yellow, red, white, and pink fragrant inflorescences are incredibly beautiful.

IMPORTANT. The chemicals contained in oleander have been successfully used in modern medicine to treat diseases of the heart muscle.

But despite its beauty and usefulness, it is deadly poisonous. Symptoms of oleander poisoning include:

  • arrhythmia;
  • vomiting;
  • drowsiness;
  • slow heart rate;
  • tremor of the limbs;
  • convulsions.
  • A child may be harmed by ingestion of 1 leaf of an ornamental plant. For a dog, a similar dose is lethal.

REFERENCE. Even the smoke released when burning bushes will be poisonous.

4. Juniper Cossack

Juniper Cossack is both an unpretentious and spectacular plant. And although with his presence he will decorate any personal plot, it must be remembered that this is the most toxic type of culture. Cossack juniper shoots contain sabinol, an essential oil that is a strong poison.

ATTENTION. The leaves and berries of the shrub are usually toxic.

In case of poisoning, the following symptoms appear:

  • fainting;
  • convulsions;
  • uterine bleeding;
  • disruption of pregnancy.
  • To avoid the development of problems after working with the plant, wash your hands thoroughly. If there are small children or animals in the family, it is better to refuse to breed this culture altogether.

3. Foxglove

This flower has a tall stem, which is dotted with thimbled buds. White and pink inflorescences in the distance look like amazing tower spiers. The unusual appearance of the culture made her a regular in flowerbed compositions. But when growing foxglove, you must remember about its high toxicity.

IMPORTANT. The deadly poison contains all the organs of the flower, and the largest amount is located in the upper leaf plates.

The plant is filled with digitoxin, a chemical used successfully in official medicine. But its use is carried out in small quantities. And increasing the dose turns the substance into pure poison. 20 minutes after consumption of foxglove, the following symptoms of poisoning are observed:

  • vomit;
  • nausea;
  • diarrhea;
  • decrease in heart rate.
  • REFERENCE. For the onset of irreversible consequences in a child, he may not even chew a flower or leaves, but simply lick them.

2. Belladonna

Belladonna, aka belladonna, has been known for its poisonous qualities for a very long time. This perennial herbaceous plant is a toxic weed, but especially sophisticated gardeners try to domesticate it on their plots. The belladonna contains atropine, which, depending on the dose and characteristics of the body, can cause from excitement to rabies.

Also present in the plant are lesser-known substances that are not so dangerous to the human body, but invariably cause unpleasant sensations, such as dryness and burning in the mouth, difficulty swallowing.

ATTENTION. Belladonna is especially dangerous for young children who are attracted to its unusual flowers and berries.

1. Brugmansia

This easy-to-grow shrub is called the angel’s trumpet for its characteristic shape of the inflorescences. Its buds are impressive in size and have an incredible aroma. Gardeners are especially attracted by the wide range of shades in which the petals of the culture are painted, as well as the dark green, large and shiny leaves.

IMPORTANT. All vegetative parts of this representative of the Solanaceae family are toxic.

The chemical composition of Brugmansia includes deadly alkaloids. This is atropine, scopolamine, and hyoscyamine. Their highest concentration is in leaf blades and seeds. Shrub consumption causes:

  • breathing problems;
  • increased heart rate;
  • hallucinations;
  • increased nervousness;
  • amnesia;
  • paralysis;
  • to whom.
  • REFERENCE. The general public knows the sad case when a young man self-amputated with scissors after drinking tea brewed from 2 angel trumpet buds.